Wednesday 8 August 2012

Olympics and stuff

I suddenly remembered, whilst watching the olympics one evening this week, that my sister used to be a very keen and very talented cross country runner.  She was a member of Barry Harriers when we lived in South Wales.  I have no idea why I had forgotten about that.  It was a big part of her life as a teenager.  She would go out running in all weathers (and being Barry that usually meant rain).  Then when she got home she would have to clean the mud off of her 'spikes' (special cross country running shoes with small metal spikes on the soles to help avoid slipping in the mud). 

I find myself remembering lots of things about our childhood together.  Things I haven't thought about in years.  Not necessarily the big events, but just day to day mundane stuff - yet so precious.  Back in those childhood days (the 1970's!), we went out to play.  We would be out all day on a Saturday and indeed unless the weather was totally foul, we would be instructed not to come home until tea time!!  Saturday tea often consisted of either lemon curd (for Katy) or chocolate spread (for me) sandwiches whilst watching Doctor Who on a black and white TV.  Katy would laugh at me when I hid behind a cushion because I was scared of the Cybermen or the Daleks. 

I watch these incredible athletes on the Olympics and remember my sister running. 

That's a good memory to have.

1 comment:

  1. Annie,

    I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. There are no words. I met Katy when we were both pregnany with our beautiful first children, July babies, in 2002/2003. She was always so passionate about her children, her horses, her husband. We shared Christmas cards and token gifts. Hers was a light in the world that will be sorely missed. Please send my condolences to your family and in particular those sweet children and Karl.

    Kind regards,
    Meagan Valenzano
    July 2003 Mother of Brian

    ReplyDelete